Conjunction Junction

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Whole Lotta Whole Language

As I was reading this week's chapter in Williams on grammar, I had to remind myself how little I really know about grammar. I grew up in the era of Whole Language. The idea is that by surrounding me with texts and correct grammar, I would just pick it up. I didn't need direct instruction because I would see and hear the correct grammar and model my speech and writing after that.

While this was a good plan in helping me write and speak, I have to admit, I've got a lot of brushing up to do before I can teach it. This is because I never learned the rules and terminology that are behind the texts I was surrounded with. So when I read or listen, I am often able to identify the errors in grammar, and offer a solution. However, I cannot say why something is wrong, or why it needs to be fixed.

As a teacher, I would like to be intentional about what I am teaching students. Although I do not agree with the idea of teaching grammar out of context, I do think that my students and I should have a common language to discuss their work, and we should be able to help each other fine tune our writing. Also, I would like to teach them to be intention about their work. If they choose to write in a certain way, or to play with conventions in their writing, I would like them to explain what they have done, and their reasoning behind it. Rather than floating in a sea of Whole Language, I would like them to know their options and make informed choices as writers.

For a resource link I have found a site www.teachingenglish.org/uk. I know that British Pronunciation and American English are two different things. But in the UK they are dealing with some of the same issues we have talked about in class. What is standard, how are students labeled by the language they speak, and how much grammar do we have to teach, anyway? This site offers some insights into those questions, as well as some practical lessons and ideas to bring into the classroom. It's published by BBC online, so it's also credible!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home