Conjunction Junction

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm gonna be a supermodel

This weeks were all about the importance of modeling. If we want students to behave in a certain way or perform a certain task, we've got to show them how it's done.

In Spandel's chapter on the right to see other's writing, it was interesting to think about just writing in front of my students. Looking back on my schooling, I rarely, if ever saw teachers write. When the class was given writing time, the teacher would often sit at their desk, grading papers or doing other work.

I think that it would be helpful for students to see me and other teachers in the act of writing. Everyone has their own style and preferences when it comes to writing. By sharing my personal preferences, like writing in a comfy chair, not at a desk, I can help students begin to think about how they like to write. Further, students can see that most of what I write on the first try is really bad, and I, too, need revising. I like the idea of having students revise one of my pieces or writing, lord knows I can use all the help I can get. By showing students that I'm not perfect, but I have some tricks up my sleeve to help me become a better writer, I can take some of the pressure off of them.

One website I found this week, when I was looking for ideas about revision was a website called teach-nology.com. It has a lot of activities to help students with writing and revising their work. It also provides teachers with some good ideas for assignments and writing prompts. It looks like a great site to use when planning a unit, or in a pinch and looking for something to use for the day. Check it out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home